Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ready learners?

I am a home schooling mom.  I work hard to prepare lessons for my kids.  I think through what they know presently and what they still need to learn.  All you moms (and dads) out there, whether you home school or not, have hopes for your kids and their futures and you give of yourselves daily to equip them and bless them, don't you?  So how maddening is it to you when you attempt to teach something of value and are met with disinterest?  They have a zillion things on their mind but not one of them includes learning what you want to teach them.  Frustrating isn't it?

This morning I was reading in Ephesians.  When I came to 1:17-19, I read one of Paul's prayers.  He prayed  "that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe..."

He has given and He continues to give!  And He is patient.  But how often do we act like distracted children before Him, having a zillion things on our minds but not one of them including learning from Him.  Surely if you asked me, I would tell you that I want Him to give the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.  Surely I want the eyes of my understanding to be enlightened.  Surely I want to know the hope of His calling and the riches and the greatness, etc.  But when I act like I want Him to just dump it into me as if I were a bottle and all this could just be funneled in, do I really think I'm going to learn what He wants to teach?  Do I really think my disinterest pleases Him?

I am thankful that much of the time my children are ready learners, cheerfully working the lessons I give.  But I am also thankful for the times they frustrate me because they are like a mirror God holds up before my eyes to show me that I am like that sometimes too.  It gives us an opportunity to all repent together.

Psalm 119:11-16 is one passage among many that instructs us how to receive:

11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.
12 Blessed are You, O Lord!
Teach me Your statutes.

13 With my lips I have declared
All the judgments of Your mouth
.
14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
As much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on Your precepts,
And contemplate Your ways.
16 I will delight myself in Your statutes;
I will not forget Your word.

Are we hiding His word in our hearts; are we declaring it with our mouths; are we rejoicing in His ways; are we meditating on His precepts; are we contemplating His ways; are we delighting in His statutes and laboring to remember His word?  

He has given and He continues to give!  Our Lord does teach. The question is whether we will learn? Are we ready learners, loving His Word, cheerfully working the lessons He gives?




1 comment:

  1. You should see my 7 year old Bible. The company warrantied it and sent me a new one two years ago but I cannot bring myself to use it- gave it to my teenage son. I also cannot bear to part with it long enough to have it rebound. So I carry it around in the box it came in.
    ~Beautiful post. So so true.

    ReplyDelete