Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Proverbs 14:1

I find myself returning now and again to The Nonsuch Professor in his Meridian Splendor, written by William Secker.  How's that for a mouthful of a title?  I referred to this book once before here.   This morning, I found on page 99 a much needed reproof to this sinner who, more than usual lately, leaves "more work to be undone" when correcting my children...

"How many are there, who check passion with passion; and are very angry in reproving anger!  Thus to lay one devil, they raise another; and leave more work to be undone, than they found to be done.  Such a reproof of vice, is a vice to be reproved.  In reprehension, we should always beware of carrying our teeth in our tongues; and of biting while we are speaking.  A surgeon would not be justifiable in dismembering a body, if he could effect a cure without it."

When the need to reprove others is before us, may God empower us to do so with gentleness, skill and a spirit of meekness instead of anger and personal irritation...let us be building and not destroying...let us be seeking His glory and the good of others.  Mr. Secker went on to say, "Reprehension is not an act of butchery, but an act of surgery."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Connie!

    I needed to read this...

    Have a wonderful day!
    Sonila

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wisely said. Thank you for sharing. (I have not read this book.)I will hold you up in my prayers concerning this.

    ReplyDelete