Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Northwest Salmon Chowder

Howdy.  I've been choppin' veggies and prepping a feast of a natural kind for tonight.  Friends are joining us for dinner and we're looking forward to a lot of good food and fellowship.  The bread dough is rising, the soup is made, and since this recipe is an often-asked for one, I thought I'd pop it up here on my blog before I go make a salad to go with it all.  Yum! 

Northwest Salmon Chowder
1/2 cup each (chopped celery, onion and green pepper)
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons butter
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
1 cup uncooked diced peeled potatoes
1 cup shredded carrots
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4-3/4 teaspoon dill weed
1 can (14 oz) cream-style corn
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 cups fully cooked salmon chunks (can used canned or fresh, bones/skin removed)

In a large saucepan, saute celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic in butter until the vegetables are tender.  Add broth, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, and dill; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the vegetables are nearly tender.  Stir in the corn, cream and salmon.  Simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through.  Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).

Mmmmm...smelling good around here! 

1 comment:

  1. Oooo... I have a can of salmon that I didn't know what to do with. This sounds quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete