Sunday, June 27, 2010

The King of love my Shepherd is!

Our family does home school year round, following the schedule planned out by my good friend Melodie (and slightly modified by moi)...you can check it out on her website HERE.  A few years ago, she and another friend of mine, and myself, started up a group called Honeycomb Kids that meets once per seven-week term to give the children from our church family the opportunity to recite memorized materials in front of an audience, sing together, and eat and play together.  Each term we have a Psalm we learn before gathering together and this term we are learning this version of Psalm 23. 


The King of Love My Shepherd Is
The King of love my Shepherd is
whose goodness faileth never,
I nothing lack if I am His
and He is mine forever.

Where streams of living water flow
my ransomed soul He leadeth,
And where the verdant pastures grow,
with food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,
but yet in love He sought me,
And on His shoulder gently laid,
and home rejoicing brought me.

In death's dark vale I fear no ill
with Thee, dear Lord, beside me;
Thy rod and staff my comfort still,
Thy cross before to guide me.

Thou spread'st a table in my sight;
Thine unction grace bestoweth;
And O what transport of delight
from They pure chalice floweth!

And so through all the length of days
Thy goodness faileth never;
Good Shepherd, may I sing They praise
within Thy house forever.

It is a beautiful song...you can listen to the music to it here.  Because the goal is to sing the song from memory when we meet on Honeycomb Kid day, our family takes a number of days to learn each verse, singing it repeatedly and talking about what it means until we "get it."  We of course try to make this fun and not drudgery...so far, so good on that front...we all love to sing still, whew!  Well, have you ever had a song stuck in your head?  This week, the first verse has been going through my head ALL THE TIME.  I'm not complaining.  To the contrary, what a blessing to be reminded throughout the day, all day long, of our King of love who shepherds us.  I've been thinking about that theme a lot as a result and I found myself in the midst of the congregation singing His praises with a heart welled up with gratitude and tears of wonder and joy in my eyes.  His goodness never fails, and He protects me and provides for me.  I am His and He is mine forever.  I just had to overflow that thought and encourage you to walk in His grace today.  Chew on these wonders with me...and fall at the feet of Jesus with praise.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds fun....would love to have a home school group to meet up with. Our closest one is an hours drive away.... Love the idea...going to check out the web :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I think we'll do that this summer. Thank you friend!! Love you. Lets talk soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! How amazing He is to even bear with me in patience, let alone love..

    ReplyDelete