Monday, December 28, 2009

Who is Jesus...looking toward the new year

In Mark chapter 8, Jesus asked His disciples what others said about who they thought He was....John the Baptist, Elijah and one of the prophets were among the answers.  Then Jesus asked them, "But who do you say that I am?"  Peter answered "You are the Christ."

We just celebrated Christmas, the time of year Jesus' birthday is celebrated all around the world.  But who is this Jesus?  Some deny His existence altogether, placing His story in the genre of fairy tale.  Some say He existed but was nobody special, just the son of a carpenter.  Some say He was crazy/out of his mind (like those we read about in Mark 3).  Some say He was a good teacher, or holy man, or a prophet, someone who we would do well to learn from the example of.  Some say He was and is who He claims to be (here is a very partial list):
*  Immanuel (which is translated "God with us"...Matt 1:23)
*  Jesus, the one who saves His people from their sins (Matt 1:21)
*  The only mediator between God and mankind (1 Tim 2:5)
*  King of all kings (there will be no end to the increase of His government and peace...Isa 9:6)
*  Phil 2:9-10 tells us He is the highly exalted One before whom every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

I am like many people who reflect at the end of the year upon life and how I'm living mine, and what changes I'd like to make in the new year.  I unashamedly believe, by God's gift of faith, the claims Jesus makes about Himself.  Honestly though I think that this side of glory, I will always be confessing "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief" (just like the man in Mark chapter 9 who brought his son to Jesus to be healed).  The question I am asking myself right now as I reflect on the past year and look forward to a new one is not so much what my mouth would say if Jesus asked me "Who do YOU say that I am?", but what answer does my life give?  

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister! Love it! May our lives reflect what we say...and believe :)

    ReplyDelete