Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Power Thought #1

The first "Power Thought" in the book I referenced here is:
"I can do whatever I need to do in life through Christ."
That sounds very much like Phil 4:13, which says: 
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Her main point here is that we can trust that wherever God leads us, He will enable and empower.  "The secret to being able to do what we need to do is realizing that we cannot do it alone; we can only do it in Christ."  

As I was reading from this chapter to my kids, they all said it reminded them of a little exercise I've had them do on occasion.   Years ago, one of my darling children was failing daily to obey in a particular area...daily instruction and discipline was happening, but no change of heart or action could be detected.  I sat frustrated in the living room one night praying for her and pleading with God to show me how to reach her little stubborn heart, and an idea came to mind.  The next day I tried it out...

I told my daughter that I was going to give her a command and that she needed to obey it, and that she could NOT say "I can't" when I told her what it was.  Then I told her to jump up and touch the ceiling.  She knew she couldn't do it, but she also knew she shouldn't say "I can't" so she stood there dumbfounded, not knowing what to do.  I let her skirm for a moment.  Then I gave the command again and this time told her that she was not to say "I can't", but that she could say "help me."  A smile of hopefulness came immediately upon her face and she quickly asked for help.  As she jumped, I gave her the lift she needed and she triumphantly touched the ceiling.  

A conversation like this followed:
me: Honey, did you obey?
daughter:  yes, Mama
me:  Could you do it alone?
daughter: no
me:  Honey, we can always obey God, but we always need the strength He gives us.  We can't do it alone.

Then we talked about the recurring problem and how we need to ask God for help.  We did, and He answered with grace.  That day there was a change of heart and action; joy replaced frustration and painful discipline...and my little girl and I both had a big lesson in our need to do all things through Christ who strengthens us.  Each of my kids have had the opportunity for this lesson, and sometimes they've taken turns jumping up to touch the ceiling with help because they love the truth it displays and they just plain need simple reminders.  Don't we all?

That's what this book has been for me.  Are you drowning in the sea of negative nasties or facing some sort of hard that "feels" too hard?  Believe God that you CAN do all He calls you to do THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens you.  Take the simple lifebuoy His Word offers you to keep your head above the waters that threaten you until He brings you out to a broad place (2 Sam 22:17-20).  Throw away your excuse bag.  "Go get a 'can-do bag' and fill it with biblical, faith-filled reasons you can do what you need to do."

Here are some other passages that relate to this Power Thought...meditate on them and be strengthened in Christ today to do all He calls you to do. 
John 15:1-8   
Heb 12:1-2 
Isa 40:29-31 
Isa 41:10  
2 Cor 12:9-10  
Eph 3:14-21   
Eph 6:10-18  
Col 1:11-14  
Rom 8:31-39 

Blessings,
Connie

5 comments:

  1. Thanks. I just reached the "I really can't do this on my own this morning."

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you my FB friend???? I think so, did you see my post on FB a few hours ago???? Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! This spoke directly to my heart. Also we are going through an Obedience lesson with the kids. I love your idea. Thank you dear friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh when I hit refresh on my browser, after posting my comment on your post from yesterday. I had just said I was looking forward to reading your thoughts on the book, and poof - there was the new post. ;) I have been in that place of saying I can't do this. But God is showing me that I don't have to do it in my own strength, I can do it through His strength. Love this and look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!!! LOVE THAT LESSON, not going to lie to you- I will be borrowing it!!!! :)

    What an obvious way to "see" the lesson. FOR ME TOO!

    ReplyDelete